Bizarrism by Chris Mikul (illustrated by Glenn Smith) is a collection of strange-but-true tales, featuring a grand parade of eccentrics, visionaries, crackpots, cult leaders, artists, theorists and outsiders of every stripe. First published in 1999, this new, fully revised and expanded edition revisits a host of unique individuals, including:
· William Chidley, who believed that, when it comes to sex, we’ve all been making a terrible mistake;
· Arthur Cravan, who combined poetry with boxing;
· Slim Gaillard, jazz singer and dispenser of ‘vout’;
· William Lindsay Gresham, author of the classic noir novel Nightmare Alley;
· Rosaleen Norton, Australia’s most notorious witch;
· Harry Crosby, poet, sun worshipper and the best looking corpse of 1929;
· Reginal Levgiac, author of the mysterious pamphlet Drugs Virus Germs.
In writing their stories, Mikul does not judge, but instead celebrates these characters for their fabulous weirdness. For him, they are the “beacons of shining if erratic brilliance in a world of sensible conformity”. The world would be a poorer place without them.
AUTHOR BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
Chris Mikul is a Sydney-based writer and publisher of the long-running zine Bizarrism, which is devoted to all manner of real-life strangeness.
Bizarrism features numerous illustrations by the Australian artist Glenn Smith creator of many brilliant album covers and posters.
'E-gads, what a book! Bizarrism is one of those stranger-than-fiction gems that's close to impossible to put down.' – The Spectator [Bizarrism original edition]
“A fantastic reminder of the variety of human behaviour.” – Fortean Times [on the author's book The Eccentropedia]
“What could have been a coffee-table project is much moreso because of its thought-provoking affirmation of all that is odd in the realm of human behaviour.” – International Times [on the author's book The Eccentropedia]
BIzarrism Vol 1
the revised and expanded edition
Publication date: 23/03/2017
A unique insight into some of the strangest stories this world has to offer.
El vendedor asume toda la responsabilidad de esta entrada.